To assist parents to fulfill their responsibility as the first and foremost educators of their children in matters of faith by using a continuous and developmental faith formation curriculum. It will be structured to provide information and experiences that are theologically and educationally sound to fit with the students’ abilities and level of understanding.
Through our K-10 Faith Formation process, we seek:
- to lead the students to develop a deeper and more personal relationship with Jesus
- to lead the students to participate in the Parish Faith Community through worship, prayer, and Sacramental life
- to help the students form a moral conscience rooted in Gospel values and message of Jesus
Religious Education Information
REGISTRATION TIME FRAME
You can register your students any time between now and August 31.
After August 31 a $25 late fee will be added to each registration to help defray shipping/costs of additional materials that might need to be ordered.
CATECHISTS ARE NEEDED
Please consider being a catechist or a high school small group leader this year: our program cannot operate without you! This goes for parents, teens, young adults, not-so-young adults, or anyone with a desire to share your faith.
You don’t have to “know it all;” resources are provided for you, and our young people just need great witnesses to Christ in their lives.
In addition to catechists, office help will be needed during the day preparing materials, and volunteers are needed in the nursery on Wednesdays from 4:30-5:30pm.
Waivers of students’ registration fees are given to any parent catechists/volunteers.
For any family the 1st child registered is $95, 2nd child is $85, 3rd child is $20, and any additional children are registered at no additional cost (the maximum a family will pay is $200). Please be sure to select “1st child,” “2nd child,” etc. as you register (“1st child” does not necessarily mean “oldest,” just the first child you are registering).
Sessions for grades K-8 will meet on Wednesday evenings throughout the school year, with a Sunday option for high school (see below):
- Grades K-5 can choose between 4:30-5:30pm meeting time or 6:00-7:00pm meeting time.
- Grades 6-8 will meet from 7:15-8:15pm.
- High school and confirmation prep session times will be determined by small groups, with the option of a Sunday evening (preferable) meeting time and a Wednesday evening meeting time. Students will meet in small groups every other week, with large group meetings alternate weeks – a full schedule will be available soon on the website.
CHILD CARE FOR CATECHISTS
We plan to have child care available during the 4:30-5:30pm session for any parents with small children who might consider volunteering as a catechist. In addition, volunteers will be needed to help child care. In both cases, registration fees for your children enrolled in RE are waived if you are able to help. Contact Pete at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information before registering.
WHAT ABOUT CGS?
Catechesis of the Good Shepherd (CGS) is an alternative program to our Wednesday evening religious education, and currently is being offered as a pilot session for children ages 3-6 on Thursday evenings. While our current session is full, we are still determining interest in the CGS program at St. Luke’s, so if you would like to explore this option with your student in the future, you can register for the waiting list at the link below (you will not be charged) while still enrolling your student in the Wednesday R.E. classes.
- Link to register for the waiting list: https://campscui.active.com/orgs/StLuketheEvangelist
- More information about CGS: http://www.cgsusa.org
If you already have paid to register a child in CGS at St. Luke’s this year, and have additional children you would like to enroll in Wednesday R.E. sessions, please register them at the link at the top of this email, but select “2nd child” instead of “1st child” (and adjust other children accordingly) to avoid overpaying.
If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact Pete Haack, Faith Formation Director, at email@example.com or (515) 964-1278.
Contact Pete Haack at the parish office if you have questions (515) 964-1278 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Links and Other Information
- Background Screening Application
- Virtus Training Instructions
- Parish Calendar
- K-6 Curriculum (Loyola Press)
- 7 & 8 Curriculum (LifeTeen Edge)
- 9-10 & Confirmation Curriculum